D. F. Dean, founder of other Oregon papers,
established in 1912 the newspaper which, with occasional short skips
because of sketchy support, continued to the recent present.
Information regarding the early life of the
Enterprise is scarce. William H. Wheeler, veteran printer-publisher, a
later owner of the paper, found the office serving largely as a
warehouse for stacks and stacks of old newspapers (71) in which the
Enterprise was much mixed with other newspapers from all over the state.
They had not been regularly filed, so rather than bother with
unscrambling the mass he “let the entire lot go up in smoke.” Much
of the information gained of the early days of the Enterprise has been
gleaned from files in the library of the University of Oregon.
two years Dean sold the paper to William A. Priaulx, another veteran,
who has conducted newspapers in several other Oregon towns. In 1916 Mr.
Priaulx brought in D. H. Talmadge as editor. May 16, 1918, Mr. Talmadge
became owner as well as editor. He ran a bright and newsy six-column
July of the next year Mr. Talmadge sold out to Charles F. Ballard of
Portland, who cut the size to five columns. In June 1921 Mr. Ballard
sold to D. F. Dean, the founder. This veteran, in the meantime, however,
had crippled his hands in logging camp work and in two months he sold to
William H. Wheeler, already mentioned.
75 years old, had just completed a lease on the Brownsville Times. He was assisted in his work by his 74-year-old wife, who did
the newsgathering and the bookkeeping. Together they raised the size of
the paper back to six columns, and ran six pages, one-third of which was
plate matter. They also raised the advertising rates from 12-1/2 cents
to 20 cents an inch and the subscription price to $2 ($1 .50 to those
who paid in advance).
changed the name of the paper in 1925 to the Rural
Enterprise and made it eight pages. In the meantime his first wife
had died and No. 2 assisted him in making the Rural
Enterprise more of a farm-community paper. He sold in 1927 to H. F.
and A. A. Lake, who changed the name back to the Halsey Enterprise
and in 1929 combined it with the Greater
Oregon of Albany and moved it to the county seat.