Also Known As: Marks Ridge

(see below)
Map Photos




Nearest Town:


Est. # Burials:

2 known


T 13S, R 1E, 7

Size in Acres:


USGS Lat/Lon:


Driving Directions:

On Reeves place S. of McDowell Creek School, E. of Lebanon


Contact Info:

Linn Co. Tax Assessor: Not found.

The following information is transcribed from the WPA Linn County Cemetery Survey, researched & prepared by Leslie L. Haskin on 11-9-1938:

The “Ferguson” Cemetery is situated in Section 7, Township 13 South of Range 1 East in Linn County.  The land surrounding this cemetery (and apparently the cemetery also) is owned [ca. 1940] by Mr. Dolph Reeves, a merchant of Lebanon.  So far as could be learned there has never been any segregation of the cemetery plot; former owners have simply permitted burials to be made on their land.  Who the first owner of this land was, was not learned.  Old maps show that in the year 1878 it was Government land.  It was never taken up under the Donation land claim act, but was later, probably, homesteaded.

This cemetery, or more properly burial spot is not fenced or cared for in anyway; there are no monuments or grave-stones in the tract.  The only indication of burials here are a number of mounds and sunken pits scattered without order over the knoll and a few sections of split picket fence panels now fallen, partially burned and rotting showing where individual grave enclosures formerly stood.  This manner of inclosing individual graves with picket panels is typical of early mountain burials.

The spot where these old burials took place is an elevated knoll or ridge thickly grown over with tall bracken and with a few scattering bunches of hazel shrub.  To locate it go to the Dolph Reeves residence in the above section 7.  From the Reeves house continue on up the public road (south) for about forty rods.  At this point the burials are just west of the road and at the summit of the abrupt knoll or ridge about four or five rods west of the road fence.

To reach this cemetery from Lebanon take the Lebanon-Berlin Market road and continue until three-fourths mile from Berlin.  Here the road forks one branch leading north to Berlin, one continuing straight forward with sign-boards directing towards the town of Sweet Home.   Follow the Sweet Home road eastward for a short distance, then southward and over a hill into the valley of McDowell Creek.  After crossing McDowell Creek the road forks but the way continues on south and up a very long steep and winding hill road to the Dolph Reeves farm home.  From the Reeves home continue on up the hill to the cemetery as already indicated.

All of the facts learned concerning this cemetery had to do with its ending.  Nothing whatever could be gathered concerning its beginning.  According to pioneer informants it was an old cemetery in the year 1896.  At that date the land surrounding was owned by a settler named Ferguson.  Mr. Ferguson objected to the continuance of burials here because the spring which supplied his water was directly below the cemetery.  (This spring still in use on the Dolph Reeves Farm.)  His objections resulted in the establishment of the Powell Cemetery a mile and a half north and the discontinuance of burials here.

Local tradition states that much difficulty was experienced in reaching this cemetery for winter burials because of the deep mud on the steep hill road leading to it.  One attempted burial, it is stated, resulted in the complete bogging down of the wagon carrying the coffin.  Defeated in their attempt to reach the cemetery a grave was dug at the roadside somewhere on the crooked track below and there the body still lies.  No name could be obtained for this roadside burial.

Note—This cemetery, apparently, has no recognized local name.  Indeed, almost none save very old residents of the region seem to know of its existence.  Many neighbors within a mile of the place had never even heard of these burials.  This field worker had designated in as the Ferguson Cemetery” simply because the name of Ferguson was most frequently mentioned as a former owner of the land.  He was the land owner who caused burials to be discontinued here.  Leslie L. Haskin.)

Few names could be obtained for probably burials here.  Those given were learned from Mrs. Rachel Powell Peterson, a woman of 85 years resident on Hamilton Creek, and a descendent of Rev. Joab Powell the noted pioneer Baptist Preacher.  She said—“Old Mr. Watkins was buried there.”  (Note—Mr. D. Watkins is known to have owned land on McDowell Creek one mile north of this cemetery in the year 1878. LH)

Mr. Steve Powell’s children were buried there but later their bodies were removed to the Powell cemetery.”  (Note—This Steve Powell was also a descendent of Rev. Joab Powell. LH)

Mr. Greeno was buried there but his body was later removed to the Powell Cemetery.  (Note—the only “Greeno” found in the Powell Cemetery was “Charles Greeno, 1884-1925.”  It is believed that the Greeno above mentioned was an older man. LH)

The Mr. Ferguson who owned the land where the cemetery is situated was buried in the Powell Cemetery.  (Note—If this is true there is no marker at his grave. LH)

[end of Haskin's survey]

This cemetery was not listed on the USGS Mapping service.  The map below indicates its approximate location.  Red dots on map indicate location of McDowell Creek.


Return to Linn County Cemeteries


References used to prepare these cemetery pages are provided.
Lisa L. Jones prepared and is solely responsible for the content of these pages. 
Copyright 2001.