Also Known As: Parrish

Online Map Photos




Nearest Town:


Est. # Burials:



T 13S, R 2W, 5

Size in Acres:


USGS Lat/Lon:

442745N 1225745W


Driving Directions:

SE of Rock Hill School near Brownsville


Contact Info:

Linn Co. Tax Assessor: Not found


Located on the DLC of Reuben Claypool, near the Rock Hill school.

The following information is transcribed from the WPA Linn County Cemetery Survey, researched & prepared by Leslie L. Haskin on April 21, 1939

The Claypool Cemetery is situated in … Section 5, Township 13 South of Range 2 West in Linn County.  This land was originally a portion of the Reuben Claypool Donation land claim and from the name of the original owner the Cemetery receives its name.

The first burial of record in this tract is that of “William E. Dickson who died July 14, 1861.  The second burial was Elizabeth Peterson who died Nov. 26, 1861.  In 1863 we find records of the death of Hiram Jackson on April 30th and of Reuben Claypool on May 31st.  This Reuben Claypool was the man for whom this cemetery is named his is also the oldest birth date recorded here, namely, July 10, 1791.  The Hiram Jackson mentioned was born in 1799.  Those two, Reuben Claypool and Hiram Jackson, are the only recorded burials here with a birth date preceeding (sic) 1800.  Next in order of births come Henry Peterson and his wife, Elizabeth Peterson, both born in 1800.

Historical & Biographical Notes:

M. T. Crow.  1818-1916.  This man lacked only two years of reaching the century mark.

Elizabeth Peterson.  1802-1861.  The second burial of record here.

Henry J. Peterson.  1800-1864.  The most prominent point in the landscape here is Peterson’s Butte, lying about two miles north of the cemetery and rearing to an elevation of over 1400 feet.  Peterson’s Butte was named after Henry Peterson.  He was a pioneer of the year 1845.  His donation land claim was situated on the south-eastern margin of Peterson’s Butte.  He had two sons who were also prominent pioneers.  They were William and Asa Peterson.  One member of this family—probably the father—was a nurseryman.  Many early orchards in this region came from the Peterson nursery.   Notably among the fruit trees distributed by the Peterson nursery was a small red plum, very tart and sharp in flavor, but rich and tempting.  This plum, its exact origin uncertain is still plentiful throughout Linn County under the name of the “Peterson Plum”.

Gamaliel Parish.  1821-1884.  Gamaliel Parish—or Parrish as it is more commonly spelled at the present day—was a son of Rev. E. E. Parrish and Elizabeth Bussey Parrish who settled in the “Parrish Gap” region of Marion County in 1846.  The Gamaliel Parrish Donation land claim was situated next south of the Reuben Claypool Claim in Linn County.  (About one-half mile south of this cemetery.)  The house, built at a very early date, is still [in 1939] standing at the bend of the road next south of the Johnson farm where the cemetery is situated. 

Reuben Claypool.  1791-1863.  The man on whose donation claim this cemetery is situated and for whom the cemetery was named.  He was a preacher—of what denomination not known.

Isabell Ann Claypool.  1809-1907.  Wife of the last.

[end of Haskin survey]

Online Transcriptions:

    Leslie Haskin's WPA transcriptions are available at Jan Phillips' website.


Return to Linn County Cemeteries


References used to prepare these cemetery pages are provided.
Lisa L. Jones prepared and is solely responsible for the content of these pages. 
Copyright 2001.